8 June 2009

Baby bathrobe

Summer is fast approaching, newborns too.
I've made my first baby bathrobe in 2001 for Marie and Olivier's first son.  I've made another one for the 2009 vintage!

The pattern is very simple. It is a slightly deformed triangle in terry towel surrounded by bias. I attempted to by nice terry towel in fabric shops but it's never soft or thick enough and it is rarely the correct colour (they only had dark green...Ugly green for a baby?).
However I found the sweetest striped fabric. I'm addicted to stripes and try as much as possible to not buy any, not to overdose on it.

These are the bias stripped. Usually they're cut in the diagonal of the fabric to make it stronger. Since I was using a stripped fabric I thought it would be a shame to cut diagonally.
I've drawn the striped with chalk and a ruler. I had to cut several stripped to cover the whole perimeter of the bathrobe. Stitching together the bias is explained very well on the Husqvarna website, have a look.


Cutting bias

Important step: ironing the crease of the bias (doing 4 creases). This make the whole experience 10 times easier and means you can work with pins only and there is not need for tacking.

Pinning the bias and stitching slowly to make sure I'm stitching through the bias/terry towel/bias in one go.  It is not that simple since this fabric is thick which makes pinning difficult.

Here you go, a soft and funky bathrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment