5 May 2011

Pearls of wisdom

I have been looking for a simple and silver like pair of dangling earring with 9mm cream pearls.
I've looked and looked, but couldn't find what I wanted:
- closed loop earring (about 10mm)
- silver or white gold
- dangling pearls (paramount for dangling earrings)
- medium-sized cream pearl (non-dyed)

I looked online for the right loop and pearl size. Again I couldn't quite find what I wanted, all I knew it that I wanted it! Can one have a crafty single track mind? 
 Then I had a light-bulb moment - doesn't happen that often, let's hold the thought. 

Ok I may not have the exact size earring, however I have some leftover pearls.
Ok the pearls are drilled through and not half bore, anyway I wasn't keen on using glue, it is not that secure. I hear you whisper "Duh, do you know what superglue is?". I crowned myself Queen of the Superglue, it runs in the family, let is be known superglue can fail you! And it's great for suturing clean wounds (I insist on "clean"). I can use pins, I have tons of pins.
Ok the pins are plated and not sterling silver, I need to go shopping.
I have the tools, I have wire, let's put this together.

1st trial: Ta daaaa

9mm cream cultured pearl with twisted wire on sterling silver loops
 


2nd trial: re Ta daaaaa
I bought bigger loops and I'm waiting for sterling silver headpins. As you can see, the plated pins have already started to tarnish.
I will only do 1 or 2 twists maximum with the new headpins.

Fancy a tutorial about setting a pearl/bead on a headpin?




No comments:

Post a Comment