26 June 2013

Bat jumper, doesn't give you wings but looks good

Another project freestyling without an existing pattern.
I'm always reminded of a very dear friend (http://www.matadeprata.com/) who used to sew standing up and without pattern. Do peruse her website, it is well worth a look. Her creativity and colour use has no bound!

So, keeping in mind this image (well, this is ok to do, the results are great, what I am waiting to break those boundaries!) I thought about a jumper I really like. Unfortunately, it was an impulse buy and the quality of the material is not ideal.
Let's get this straight: it is purple and not pink. I'll deny whatever you say about the colour by pointing out the picture was taken late at night with artificial light.



One mistake I always (not kidding) make when I attempt to duplicate clothes is to make the copy way too small. Bearing this in mind a little and still not wanting to use the tape measure enough, I got started by folding in two the purple jumper. I did measure my arms width and hips to make sure I could wear it. 

The result is not as loose as the original. It is partly due to the fabric used, thicker than the original, but also because I cut it too tight. It does fit! Hurray.



The black lace idea came from a lovely post (http://apoisclair.canalblog.com/archives/2012/12/03/25734481.html) of a great French blogger who did something very similar. In the same vein than Mata de Prata, I thought "Why not?" and gave my top a bit of gothic makeover. It looks good, feels nearly as good but for a little bit of itchiness due to the sharpt edge of the fabric. I'll make sure I'll stitch everything twice next time to avoid this. I'm still thinking of retouching this a little when I get a minute.
The collar was made following these excellent explanations (in French, http://apoisclair.canalblog.com/archives/2012/11/23/25654338.html). The pictures are all you need.


 I added another twist to this top I thought was a bit granny like: the open sleeves. Both sleeves are open in between the lace insert and armband.



No comments:

Post a Comment