4 September 2013

1920's with a twist

Last summer, I was honored to be invited to the wedding of very close friends. The theme was 1920's and I rushed to find a good pattern for a dress. 
Several weeks later and still no joy on the pattern side, I bit the bullet and started making my own.

I have some of of the writer's block with drafting my own patterns.  I looked for courses, my Nonna gave me everything I needed to make them (twice, I'm ashamed). The I tried to make were pretty unsuccessful.  

However, besides making this dress, I'd also agree to make two little bridesmaids dresses and a steam-punk waistcoat . I'd also have to make the steam-punk waistcoat pattern.

I didn't quite manage to eradicate my pattern-phobia so I inspired myself with this post. This post explains very well how to make the handkerchief skirt. I altered the pattern and made a v-neck dress with wider shoulders (it can be a tad chilly here, even during summer) and a handkerchief skirt. I've used a pale yellow jersey fabric and stretchy lace, with a brooch. 

I used an existing v-neck top I had for the upper part of the patter. The first trial was too tight and I found myself alone at home stuck into a tube of fabric. Not the most glorious moment of my life however a good learning point.

I've added a sort of inbuilt modesty panel since the fabric was very sheer as well as lace on the v-neck. This meant this rather ordinary top looked a little more special. 

I consciously choose jersey to simplify finishings. With jersey, there is no need to hem, which is really good whilst making a handkerchief skirt since there will be mile and mile of hem. It is a mere exaggeration. This, on top of the 3 other projects for this wedding, meant I needed to be fast. 

Once I stitched the skirt onto the top with some ruffling, I stitched some more stretchy lace to hide the stitching line between the two parts.   


Ta daaaaam

The flower is made with the same jersey fabric, stretchy lace, glue together with a glue gun (lent to me by my steam-punk waistcoat giant).

Detail of the lacy v-neck. I took me several attempts to set it properly. The lace is in between the modesty panel and the front. Think about it and give it a try. The result is rather nice? I stitched the centre part a little to recreate the v-neck shape. 

The back, nothing really exciting...

Miles and miles of hem, that I didn't have to stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment